A few links - A few comments - UPDATED

UPDATE: maybe the war is finally over - HERE.

Walter Much is a fascinating guy. He has done some amazing work and I am always impressed with this renaissance man. There is a new set of articles on sound that he has authored and are well worth the read.

You can read his thoughts on sound HERE.

Harry Miller A.C.E over at the A.C.E. blog has some interesting thoughts on FCP and thoughts on why the product tends to be eschewed by a lot of the old guard A.C.E. membership. Check it out HERE.

As I am sure most of you know, Apple has released new 8 core MacPros and 8 core Mac xServers. A lot of speculation has sprung up around this announcement regarding what the Steve might announce at Macworld. Speculation that these are the ho-hum products that wont make the keynote cut. I think that's a reasonable expectation. I doubt we will see anything of the magnatude of the iPhone but it should be interesting nonetheless.

Speaking of the iPhone, there is a great article on it's development over at wired. Check it out HERE. Looking in from the outside, it's easy to think that something like this was just a well planned product that was cranked out by Apple. But a look under the hood reveals a lot more.

We plan to pick up another MacPro soon so the announcement of the new machines is timely for us. It will be nice to have compressor grinding on 2 MacPros.

There has also been a lot of speculation about the demise of the HD-DV format with Paramount's recent announcement regarding their support for the format as well as Warner talking about dropping it. I think it's too early to schedule the funeral for HD-DVD, but things are not looking good for the format.

I have an HD-DVD drive attached to my xBox but for my money, I would just like to see an end to the format wars. Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, whatever... The ideal situation for me would be a TiVo like box in my living room that I can download movies to and watch in HD on demand. Comcast has recently announced their new 160mbps broadband service that would allow the download of HD movies - An average of 4 minutes to get a 2 hour HD film.

That's what I want - No media. 99 percent of what I rent from Netflix I would NEVER buy. DLing to my home theater is what I want. I think we are close here...

I'll close with a little FCP tip: (v 6.x) When you look at an effect in a menu, if the effect in question is in bold type, this indicates that you can play the effect in real time without rendering it.

Happy new year, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts