Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Dog days

Well, it looks like my friend with the "kick" dog that we were going to use is not going to be able to accomodate us (I think it will be busy flying through some goalposts somewhere that day *cackle*). So, it looks like a small re-write is in order to handle the dog situation. I will be writing the dog OUT of the film since we are at the 11th hour here on this and I don't have time to secure a new mutt.

We will block out a new idea to overcome the lack of the flea-bitten mongrel on the set this Sunday. I think I have a decent idea to make it work without the mutt. Additionally, the lack of mutt here will actually make the logistics of the shoot much simpler so this is probably a blessing in disguise. As they say, a Director's job is problem solving :)

UPDATE: Well, the original dolly FINALLY showed up at the house today. I guess for FedEx, next day air = 1 week. Nice... Well, it's now on it's way back to the vendor. He should see it in, oh say - about a month based on past performance here :)

2 comments:

Gary said...

Sorry about losing the dog. Then again, you're probably right, it's a blessing in disguise. Who knows what wacky antics that dog could've caused on the set.

Sounds like you guys have been rehearsing quite a bit. That was the major mistake I made with my first short. Glad to see you won't be making the same mistake.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck!

B-Scene Films said...

Thanks, Gary! Yeah, the logistics of dealing with a dog on location would have been a pain. I wrote him out of the script last night.

As to rehersal, my approach is that I want to know about 99% of the issues that we will have to deal with before I get on set. I don't want to waste the time of the kind folks that are helping us do this.

And everytime we rehearse we find some new issue. Nancy needs more practice with the rig and we also still need to work out how to deal with the exposure.

The actors will be in the shade but the sun will be out and that tends to make for a challenge in terms of not having the BG blown out and still have the actors look good :)

In some shots we will use a PVC frame that Nancy made with a mosquito netting on it to knock down the exposure for the BG but we won't be able to use it for every shot.