Leopard: Some bad, some sorta good...

Just a quick note here...

I thought that the networking between Wintel and the Mac had improved in Leopard. But, alas, it was just happenstance that it was working during my intial testing. But, as it turns out, it's still intermittently failing. Many times I turn the Powerbook on (the Wintel box is always running) and the Mac sees nothing on the network.

Sometimes if I go and wake the MacPro up, the Powerbook will automagically see the rest of the network. Other times it will just see the MacPro. And to add to that, my IM network always comes online. I use a Bonjour client called Miranda on the Wintel box so that I can have a local private IM setup between the Macs and Wintel. That system ALWAYS works, no matter what.

Very strange...

On the Powerbook I use the wireless Mighty Mouse and the old wireless keyboard (the white one, not the new chiclet one). About every 5th time I would fire up the Powerbook, it would decide that it could not see either the keyboard or the mouse - Never both, just one or the other.

In Tiger, I had to go through a bunch of steps to reconnect the errant device back to the Powerbook. In Leopard, they have simplified this process down to a single element in a drop down on the Bluetooth panel in System Preferences:

Above is the new Leopard panel and the dropdown where you can simply select connect or disconnect as appropriate.

So, network issues still persist. Bluetooth is still questionable. But at least I don't have to go through 20 steps to reconnect the Bluetooth devices. Kind of reminds me of an old joke:

"So, Bob, how is the new job?"
"Well, the people are jerks, the environment is like a dungeon but at least the pay sucks!"

I'll post later in the week about the MacPro update to Leopard. I'll have plenty of time to do it this week as I am now officially out of work!

Comments

Popular Posts