Kubrick: A rare glimpse

When the Shining was released, it was not well received by either the public or the critics. Many critics derided the now famous "here's Johnny" scene as over the top. Additionally, the film did not do well in the box office.

Today, the film is considered classic horror. I am always amused by how opinions change regarding films over time. For me, The Shining has always been a great horror film. I saw it in the theater during it's initial release and I loved the film. And I am NOT a horror fan. I think that for me, when the threat is a real person as opposed to some kind of imaginary monster, the impact of the villain is much greater.

During the filming of The Shining, Kubrick's daughter Vivian made a behind the scenes documentary for the BBC. This Doc is different than most in that you get to see a lot of Stanley directing and choosing shots. It is far from your typical fluffy publicity piece that you will see on HBO. It provides a rare glimpse into Kubrick's working style.

Here it is broken up into 4 parts. Enjoy.

Part 1



Part 2



Part 3



Part 4

Comments

Popular Posts