Saturday, August 30, 2008

New David Mullen thread for Stay Cool

David Mullen A.S.C. is doing another journal over at Red User on his latest film "Stay Cool". His descriptions and wealth of filmmaking knowledge make these journals a MUST read for any indie filmmaker.

Check it out HERE.

Sunday I should have part one of my review of the Focus Enhancements FS-5 online with lots of pics as well.

Stay tuned!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Poor video quality + digital stills = good results

I ran across this on the net this weekend. The practice of shooting video and photographing the same material. Using standard DV and enhancing it using higher resolution / dynamic range still photographs. The results are quite interesting. Of course, this presumes that the stills that you take will be better than the quality of the video. Nevertheless, the results here can be pretty nice. This can also be easily applied to wire removal and object removal.

Check it out HERE.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Going Postal

As in post production. Nancy and I are in the midst of doing post for 3 operas and Nancy is finishing up post on a photo session that she did prior to this last batch of operas.

We have about 30 DVDs to produce for each opera as well as artwork for the labels and DVD cases, so we have a lot of work in front of us. On the second opera the Tascam HD-P2 dropped about 2 seconds of audio in the middle of the second half of the opera. We were recording backup audio using a shotgun mic that was place further back in the theater so we had to use that to fill that gap.

After that incident I did extensive testing of the HD-P2 and was never able to re-produce this problem again. Very strange but shows it pays to have a backup on events like this where there is no take two, as it were.

The audio quality is just stellar with the Tascam and the Oktava mics. We recorded 192k 24bit and the sound is just top notch. I am REALLY happy with it. Using 8GB CF cards, I get about 1 hour and 45 minutes per card. This worked out fine as the operas are 2 hours with a 30 minute intermission between the hours so I could swap cards.

On the last opera, Nancy used the new Focus FS-5 DTE unit and recorded to tape for backup. The FS-5 worked flawlessly. She controlled it through her LANC controls and had no issues. Capture time was about 30 minutes instead of 2 hours.

So Nancy was REALLY happy with that result. She did not need the tapes at all but the backup is nice.

Next week - Or the week after I think, Nancy will be doing more training from Tiffen on using her Steadicam flyer. Once I get a little camcorder, I will shoot some video of her flying the Z1 and do a PIP thing so you can see her operating and the resultant footage.

We are still getting used to the FS-5 and getting a handle on it. Once we have a better feel for the unit I will post a review.